Gaming Forum
Hi there Guest, welcome to Gaming Forum! Gaming Forum is a nice community where we discuss all sort of things; Gaming, Music, Movies, Anime, Etc. If you are a guest, then you can't really do much...all you can really do is read this message. But if you are a member you can; post in topics, explore all of the forums, reach many ranks, earn points to buy stuff, make some friends, play some arcade games, and MORE! So what are you just doing sitting there? Join Today! Oh and tell your friends.

Well if it isn't a new update? 11/3/10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Well if it isn't a new update? 11/3/10

Post by bob8972 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 am

Hello guys. You all know who I am...hopefully, and today is a great day to have an update.

This update contains announcements, and major changes.

Enjoy.

Gaming Forum has been up for 1000 days.

As of today, November 3, 2010, Gaming Forum has officially been active for 1000 days. Let's try to make it through 2000 days now. Can we do it? Let's see if we can...
Oh and if anybody is wondering how I know today is Gaming Forum's 1000th Day, if you on the statics page (The image above is a screencap of part of it), you can see most of the stuff about the forum such as how many posts/topics/new members have joined the forum in the past 12 months, and how many days the forum has been up for on it.

New Skin.
I don't remember how old the last skin was, but we finally have a new skin. I found this on hitskin.com. If some of you guys saw, you would of noticed that topic I made a week ago asking you guys which out of 4 skins that I liked you liked the most. The current skin you are viewing is the one that got the most votes. If anybody notices something wrong with the skin, please let me know.

Old Skin (With it's original banner)
http://demo.nicetheme.com/index.htm?theme_id=144900
Old Banner

REALLY Old Skin (I just found this one looking for the Old Skin we had before.)
http://demo.nicetheme.com/index.htm?theme_id=132632

Note: The current banner may not be official yet. If you guys don't like it, we won't use it. If it doesn't match the new skin it might be changed. Just letting you guys know.
Edit: New Banner and it looks better. Horray!

Thanks to Mr. PBJ for making it.

Deleted the Arcade Forum.
As you guys can see, I deleted the Arcade Forum. Nobody went on it, and nobody really cared for it. I moved all of the topics that were in it to the Trash. You should still be able to find them if you look good enough. There were 54 different games in the Arcade Forum just to let you know.

Note: I moved some of the topics, but not all of them. There's a lot of topics to move, so I might work on it some more later. I didn't delete the arcade forum yet, but I make the forum invisible to where only Administrators can view it.
I finally moved all of the Arcade topics to the Trash Forum. Just to let you guys know, most of the older Arcade games don't work anymore. So if you want to find a really old topic, the game screen might not work anymore.

Removing a few inactive staff members.
Today I'm removing 4 inactive staff members that never come on.
Administrators Removed:
Code Seven
Moderators Removed:
CapnMatt
Graphic Designers Removed:
Acdude
MarioandLuigi

These members have not posted anything in months, and I need to have staff members who actually go on. I will add them back if they start being active again.

Note: Now I only have 3 staff members, not including myself. I might start adding staff members later in the near future, but not now.

The Ranks.
Now if any of you remember. During the summer, Mr. PBJ made a topic about the ranks being remade. I never asked him about it, I need to make a list of what is going to be which so he can start if he wants to. I'm just letting you guys know that the ranks will be remade sometime soon. I don't know when, but just be patient and they will be done soon.

The Forums Activeness and Advertising.
A few weeks ago, I made a topic about Gaming Forum being inactive and getting close to becoming offline. Since then more posts have been made, and some old members have came back to Gaming Forum. I thank you guys, Gaming Forum still isn't extremely active right now, but let's try to make it more active. In an attempt, and since we have a new skin which brings better appeal to the forum (If it doesn't, then tell me why it doesn't, and suggest another skin if you like), I'm going to actually try to start advertising the forum again. We are looking better, and I don't how or why, but we had 22 new members last month. Can somebody please explain to me how that happened? Laughing Too bad none of them started posting, but oh well, maybe I can get some members to join and start posting.

Gaming Forum's Review.
About a month ago, I went on the Forumotion forums and asked a request for my forum to be reviewed. I got a review from a staff reviewer who knows what he is talking about and doing.
Here is his review:
Spoiler:

Gaming Forum

[list] First Impressions - Good
    When I copied the forum address I had a smile on my face because the url is very simple and informative. This is gaming forum told me everything I need to know for beginning, and thatís first plus I gave you. After I entered the forum, my impression was: blue, blue, and more blue. I think you have too much of blue color and you should refresh your forum look with some other colors, like green, or maybe black which is suitable enough for gaming forum. I scrolled down and took a peak at other forum parts, and I saw organized sections and widgets with well written descriptions. As for the graphics, like banner and background, Iím not very impressed, it can be much better for one successful gaming forum. Altogether, well organized community but graphics and design arenít good enough. Iíll give you some tips in further reviewing. Also, the width of the index is too big, try reducing it, another thing I noticed is there is a space at the bottom of the index which really looks unprofessional, try adjusting that one.

Graphics & Layout - Average
    Iíll start from the background which isnít so good. Background makes my eyes little blur, because it looks like there are lots of black spots, like in many optical illusions. You should avoid this type of striped backgrounds and use gradient one, or similar.
    As for the banner, Iím not impressed as well. It has very poor blending options and black and white icons, and it doesnít fit well into the big blue bar behind it. The only thing that is quite well is itís height. You should try something transparent with your gaming forum logo and some good text effect or lightning effects. It will keep forum simple and give the impressions of professionality.
    I can see that navigation doesnít have good designed gloss and font is quite large. You should try some HQ font and write it a bit smaller. The positive thing about navigation is hover, handy thing.
    Forum icons should be bit larger and old and lock should have some better blending options. As for the New post icon, I can say that is very neat one, and distinguishable.
    Who is online pic is very poor, try something bigger and with more sleek blending.
    Altogether, design isnít very qualitative. My suggestion is changing the skin to something new, with more colors and better graphics. Try hiring a designer, or order some graphics on forums which offer free or paid orders.

This was before the new skin and banner.
Forum Activity - Good
    Our users have posted a total of 67049 messages
    We have 406 registered users
    I donít know when is forum made, but statistics are quite well. Calculating the members and posts, it looks like it is about 150 posts per member, which is quite well in this Facebook and other social networking era. The thing that isnít very well is that General category has much more posts than Forum and Gaming one. Try opening some interesting threads in Gaming category, and attract members to post there more. Also, I suggest you to remove Special Forums from the bottom because it doesnít have any posts Ė add it when some members achieve the access to it. The thing that bugs me is your last 8 hours list. I would like to see the last 24, because my impression is low when I see 8 hours.

Like I said, it was a few months ago.
I think I'm just going to keep it as the last "8 Hours" like it has always been.

Staff & Usergroups - Average
    Three administrators on 407 members of average activity is too many. Only if you have some big work with admin panel or points, itís okay. Otherwise, you should have only two administrators or make one of them moderator. 2 moderators is good number, everything it alright with them... I wonít comment elite members because description says they are very active members.
    Now we come to: graphic designers. They arenít doing their job very well. When you read my Graphics review, give it to your graphic designers to try fixing the bad graphic work.
    I would also recommend to delete the Retired staff group or make it hidden, and write down every staff member is some important topic. I donít think they need a special user group.

Administrators= Good
Moderators=Good (We only have 1 now, but I might add another one in the future.)
Graphic Designers=Bad (I also only have 1 now, but Mr. PBJ makes things when I ask him too.)
Elite Members=Good
Retired Staff= Alright (I'm not sure if I'll delete the group or not.)

Originality & Unique Quality - Poor
    Altogether, average forum with average graphics and organized sections and widgets. Portal is not well organized, so I suggest you put some gaming news in the middle and some interesting gaming widgets on sides. If you want to be more original and attractive, try making new design, new and unique favicon + add some icons in section descriptions, and use some of my tips for improvement.
    Keep up, you can be much better if you try!
    I know I need to edit the Portal.

Cheers,
    Vladimir.
Everything that was in bold, and that was underneath each section was my comment edit.

New Rule on posting.
EVERYBODY PLEASE READ THIS, THIS ISN'T A JOKE!!!
This is probably the most important changes on this update. For now on, all posts must have meaning to them. If I didn't make this clear, let me make it clear. STOP MAKING POINTLESS SPAM POSTS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC DISCUSSION! Yes, I have made the 5 Word Rule, but it isn't enough, posts are still spam. You guys are not making posts that can contribute to an actual discussion.
In the topic where I was asking what skin you guys wanted, and if you replied to explain why you wanted that skin, or didn't want the other two.
Instead of having a good reply like this:

"I want the 3rd one, and the 4th one. I like both because they look nice, and in my opinion I think they might attract members, especially the coding on the 3rd one. That Facebook skin looks pretty cool, and would love to have it. As for the 1st one and 2nd one, I don't like them because I think they are just too dark and doesn't suits Gaming Forum that well. I don't think it will attract anybody in my opinion."
(You didn't have to put it in that much detail, but that would of been better than what I got.)

All I got was pointless replies that shouldn't of been made like this:

"I want the 3rd and 4th one, they look awesome"

"The 1st and 2nd one."

"I choose the 2nd and 4th one."

That really explains a lot on why you want the skin. This just doesn't happen here, IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE!!! Spam has always been a major issue here, it was worse when Gaming Forum first started, but as the years went by, things have changed, new rules have been made such as the 5 Word Rule, but useless posts are still being made. Here is an example of what I'm talking about.
[Subject: Super Mario Brothers 3]
"Hey guys I recently purchased Super Mario Brothers 3 from a local Pawn Shop. I think this game has good graphics, nice game play, and sweet music. I think it can be rather difficult in the higher levels like all games, but it is still a good game. For those of you who have this game, what's your favorite things and features in the game? Why do you like it? Why do you not like it? Discuss."

"i like that game a lot"

"dat gamee iz so freakin fun i got it a lon time ago n i played it 2day"

"best game ever made that i played"

Posts like this, will NO LONGER cut it. This is considered spam, and going off topic, contribute to the topic. stopp talkin liek tis n typin all nooobish. Make posts that people can actually read, and read over your posts. Sometimes I see people make poor spelling errors and mistakes. If you see that you made one, edit your own post and change it. If you use Mozilla Firefox (I don't know what other browsers come with it) then it should have a spell check with it, use it, it's very helpful. I'm not asking you guys to make 10 sentence long posts with capitalization, and punctuation. That would be nice and easier to read, but don't sound like an idiot and put random stuff on your post. If you are learning English, it is ok that you don't know what to say, but please try to read over your post before posting it. If you type something in another language, DON'T! This is an ENGLISH video game forum. It's not a Spanish, French, Japanese, Italian, or any other language forum. If you decide to make a post in another language, but you translate what you said in the same post, that is fine. I know what you are saying. There is nothing wrong with translating in the same post what you said. I don't have people doing that a lot, but I have had people do that before and it is aggravating and I consider stuff I can't read spam. I'm just letting you guys know for the future.

This rules goes in pretty much almost every topic, and every forum. For the most popular topics right now, I'm just going to go over them to show you guys what I would like you all to post.

What Are You Listening Too?- Put an actual song that you are currently listening too. DO NOT put "A song" "Yea I'm listening to that too" "the super mario brothers soundtrack" Don't put what the person before you said, and don't post the same song over and over again.

What Are You Doing?- The Twitter topic of Gaming Forum. All you have to do is say what you are doing, fixing to do, or just finished doing. Guys, STOP SAYING THE SAME THING EVERYTIME!
"I'm going hit the hay."
"I'm tired, so I'm going hit the hay, again."
"You know that hay I hit yesterday? Well I'm going hit it again."

"Listening to music."
"On Facebook."
"Listening to music."
"On Facebook."
"Listening to music and on Facebook."

Okay I get it, you like to hit hay, listen to music, and go on Facebook. You don't have to post that every time you go on the that topic. Say something different for once, or something interesting that doesn't involve you going to sleep or on a website.
Make different post like this:
-Monday-
"I'm trying to fix my TV because it broke, and I will be going to bed once I'm done with it."
-Tuesday-
"I'm talking to my friend on IM Chat on Facebook. We are talking about school related stuff."
-Wednesday-
"I'm just doing my math homework. It is kind of confusing, but I'm going to get it done soon hopefully."

Note: I'm not saying you can never say that you are going to sleep, listening to music, or on a website again. But please try to say something besides that or whatever you usually post in that topic. If you do decide to say that, please add more detail to your post. Thank you.

Last Game Played- Post a VIDEO GAME. Not an online flash game. Not a board game. Post a console, hand held, or arcade video game.

The Last Letter Game, Your Banned, + Any of Forums Game- I like those topics too and all, but please GTFO of them and post on a different topic instead of trying to easily increase your post count.

Blogs- If you have a blog, make an actual blog post. All Member Blog Updates must include when you did what, and must be at least 20 words.
If you are replying to somebody's blog post, or you are replying to somebody who commented on your blog, it doesn't have to be 20 words long. If you said you went to a concert, etc. Then it is OK for you to reply (If your reply is 5 words or longer) like this:
"Did you have fun at it?"

"Yes, I did. They played most of my favorite songs, thanks for asking."

NOT like this:
"i went to a concert."

"i went to another concert."

"i went to another concert and it was cool lololol."
"duuude no way that's cool!!!"

Randomness- We all know what Randomness is. The most active topic on Gaming Forum. Some think it's a fun topic like myself, some think it's stupid, and full of spam. The purpose of the topic is to just say something random, or have a conversation about a random post that somebody made. Well these days...all it is is; Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam. It's a privilege to post in that topic, I'm not planning on locking it. But if you guys take advantage of it, I will lock it. I don't want too, but I will do what has to be done.

So no more:
"this is a random post"

"hahahaha that was so funny man"

"that was the most random thing I have ever heard!!!"

"waffles heaven random waffles syrup"

Is not aloud anymore unless you add more to your post.
*sigh* To new members, Randomness makes it look like spam is aloud here, which it isn't. They will make pointless posts everywhere, and make really short posts. So for now on, all post in Randomness must be 10 words long at least.

I know what you're thinking. "Awww man Bob you are no fun, you ruined randomness and all of the other topics bla bla bla. I have to actually make an attempt in making posts now, bla bla bla. I'm leaving this forum forever and I'm never coming back!" Guys, if the posts you made was made on pretty much any other forum, then you will banned from it in no time. Gaming Forum is different than other forums, you guys are lucky I haven't deleted the whole Randomness or some of the other topics by now. So please don't make a big deal. I want Gaming Forum to be know as a "Cool, fun, intelligent contained forum." Not as a "Stupid, pointless, spam filled forum." I think we all agree with that. So for now on, please try to make more posts that have use. Also, post OUTSIDE of Randomness, Forum Games (The Last Letter Game, Your Banned, The ^-<-V Game), Last Game Played, and What Are You Listening Too? Gaming Forum has hundreds of topics to post in, plenty of forums to post in, and topics to be made. If you make 5000 posts, let's say, and a month or two later, you make 6000 posts and a topic on your accomplishment in the Achievements forum, and you say:
"GUYS YES I GOT 6000 POSTS, I'M SO AWESOME!!! HAHAHA YEA!!!"
Would you rather most of your posts made, since your 5000th post to your 6000th post, be posts that were useful, contributing, and contained your polite and personal opinions about something from several different topics? OR would you rather have most of your posts that were easily made be made from posting in Randomnesss and The Last Letter Game? I think the second thing isn't much of an accomplishment to me, but the first thing is defiantly.

So guys thank you VERY much for reading and understanding. I don't want to have to ruin anybody's fun, but I want this pointless posting to come to a stop and to keep Gaming Forum from dying.

I hope you guys enjoy all of the updates I made.

If you have any questions (Seriously, I'm not joking around) about anything that you are not sure about. Then ask a question in the Help forum, send me a PM, reply to this topic asking your specific question and thoughts about the update. Don't just reply saying, "I like the update Bob." Please don't.

~bob

Last edited by bob8972 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 5 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Male
Job/Hobbies : Bagger at a shitty grocery store
Mood : Fearless
Name : James
Game codes : XBL Gamertag- FINALLYsomebody
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/someguywithnipples

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Well if it isn't a new update? 11/3/10

Post by silksofsweden on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 am

very intresting update. i readed it all and congrats for having gf for 1000 days. i wanna help you make it 2000 days. gf looks better now and it might get brighter as time goes. im gonna be there to help you

join naruto arena

join war of ninja

members killed: 5
silksofsweden

Male
Job/Hobbies : collage
Mood : Music
Name : david moradi
Other Site : http://www.naruto-arena.com/profile/ice9/
Game codes : 2622-9874-2387

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/silks7?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by bob8972 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 am

silksofsweden wrote:very intresting update. i readed it all and congrats for having gf for 1000 days. i wanna help you make it 2000 days. gf looks better now and it might get brighter as time goes. im gonna be there to help you
I hope you mean it, and one way of helping me is by helping yourself to make better posts like I hope everybody will start doing.

Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by silksofsweden on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:25 am

i do. and i tell others to do so too. thats my job as a mod. i feel sad that many staff members gone idle. maybe we should do a voting topic later to choose new staff members. i dont know what you think about it

join naruto arena

join war of ninja

members killed: 5
silksofsweden

Male
Job/Hobbies : collage
Mood : Music
Name : david moradi
Other Site : http://www.naruto-arena.com/profile/ice9/
Game codes : 2622-9874-2387

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/silks7?feature=mhw4

Back to top Go down

Post by Code Seven on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:01 am

Holy wow! i hardly recognized the forum nice job!
Code Seven
Fantastic
Fantastic

Male
Job/Hobbies : Video Games,some other random stuff
Mood : Camping
Name : Francis C.
Other Site : http://www.youtube.com/user/Francis77727
Game codes : Brawl: 2493-0096-2123

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/446780841

Back to top Go down

Post by bob8972 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:07 am

Code Seven wrote:Holy wow! i hardly recognized the forum nice job!
Thanks! Also like I said Francis, I will add you back IF you start to become active again.

Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by StarDust on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Sweet i was waiting this, nice updates and gongrats for 1000 :p and the new skin is awesome live it
StarDust
Extreme
Extreme

Male
Job/Hobbies : Student, Gaming Maniac [LOL], video editing [a litte on anime]
Mood : Playing Guitar
Name : Pein
Other Site : Youtube,
www.youtube.com/users/devilshayne

Deviantart
http://true-sasuke.deviantart.com/
Game codes : *-Sup3r_Night-* only for S4 league when online

View user profile http://www.genesis.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MarioStar on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:55 am

Awesome updates , James!

And yes , I know I may have been spamming the Randomness and What Are You Doing threads but I promise to keep them legitimate posts.

Also , congrats on 1000 days!
MarioStar
Super Ultra Mega Gamer
Super Ultra Mega Gamer

Male
Job/Hobbies : School.
Mood : Dancing
Name : Sean
Other Site : www.twitter.com/SeanFinlay

View user profile http://twitter.com/#!/SeanFinlay

Back to top Go down